English topic

Here, this is the English topic and we can just speak in the Sheakspeare's language.
English, the universal language that we MUST absolutely be able to speak.
It's your turn !

English topic

What a quaint idea that Englishmen speak the language of Shakespeare (1564-1616) or that the French speak as Molière (1622-1773)! Happily, there have been some advances in the languages since then. We don't want to fall in a rut, now, do we?
What a good idea to establish an English-speaking chain, although I see that in the other languages, there are not many participants.
2000 years ago, many civilised people thought that Latin was the universal language. Now there is a tendancy to say that Latin is a dead language, so please be careful what you say about English if you want it to survive. smile

English topic

Latin is not dead!  But for several people it seemed to a "pretentious" language because it showed the differences between the intellectual and the others (XVI century and after...)
I'm happy to see this topic here, and I hope there'll have many participants than in the others. I think that this language is the easiest to write although I prefer German wink

English topic

I wonder how to translate 'Machine-gun' into latin?
A universal language can only be one that is available to and spoken by everybody!
I think it would be  better to choose a completely new language for this purpose, in order to avoid jealousy; however, Esperanto has not really taken off as the universal languague of the 20th Century. This is rather a pity.

English topic

I agree with you.. Latin, english, and other languages can't be universal languages (even if english is considered to ...)because they don't represent the whole culture of the world : but just the one of a larger country than the others... But why would there be a universal language? i'm against people who speak english abroad although they could speak in the language of the country..

English topic

In that case, I will have to stop speaking English here!

English topic

I think it's good to have a "universal" language because it allows people to communicate even if they don't come from the same country... roll
If I don't know how to manage in english I would certainly never met some person with whom I'm still in touch now... smile
It could be good in a society in which a lot of people suffer from a lack of communication...

English topic

JSC, we can like a language without the "will of universality". I like to learn some languages by thirsty of knowledge about another cultures and countries, that's why I think that each country must keep its own language to keep its own culture! I speak english for the english and american culture, not for the universality! But I can conceive that English and other popular languages aren't useless for the universal communication tongue

English topic

Have you ever travelled to English-speaking countries?

English topic

As far as I'm concerned, I went to Scotland last year...   smile